SUNDAY TEASER: GRADE 8 FINAL EXAM FROM 1895
Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
With a return to school in a month’s time — after virtually four months virtually — it’s time for a little primer.
Remember the TV show “You Think You’re Smarter than a Fifth Grader?’
Well, MuskokaTODAY.com reader Gordon Woollard sent along this little test to you’re your kids’ educational appetite.
It’s an 8th grade final exam from 1895 from south of the border.
Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents said they only had an 8th grade education?
Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?
This is a five-hour eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina , Kansas.
It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina and reprinted by the Salina Journal.
See how you do — or test your kid to see if she or he is ready for high school.
Sharpen your pencils and your mind.
Let us know how you did. And remember — you’re not in Kansas.
Grammar (Time, one hour)
- Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of ‘lie,’ ‘play,’ and ‘run.’
5. Define case; illustrate each case.
6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
7 – 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the
practical use of the rules of grammar.
Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)
- Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs.
For tare? (Tare: an adjustment made for the weight of the packaging in order to determine the net weight of the goods allowance , adjustment — an amount added or deducted on the basis of qualifying circumstances; “an allowance for profit”
4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000.. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. Long at $20 per metre?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
- Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton , Bell , Lincoln , Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.
Orthography (Time, one hour)
(Do we even know what this is??) Grammar.
1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals
4. Give four substitutes for caret ‘u.’ (HUH?) (The inverted V symbol used in proofreading)
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final ‘e.’ Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis-mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane , vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.
Geography (Time, one hour)
1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas ?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.
Notice that the exam took FIVE HOURS to complete.
Sorry, no answers.
But it gives a whole new meaning to “only had an 8th grade education.”
No wonder some kids dropped out after 8th grade; they often knew a lot.
“Have fun with this,” says Woolard, “and pass it on, so we’re not the only ones who feel stupid.”
Celebrating 25 YEARS of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Follow us at Twitter @muskokatodaily
And on Facebook at mclairmont1
Leave your comments at end of story.
Letter to the Editor: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe for $25 at https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions