Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — Another day without a reported COVID case in Muskoka comes with 19 more in Simcoe.
And 52 cases the first three days this week.
The familiar pattern throughout the pandemic comes as Ontario remained under and Quebec over 500 cases Wednesday.
Ontario had 476 cases and 10 deaths and Quebec 506 and 3 deaths.
Regionally, Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit (SMDHU) reports 19 cases. Public Health Ontario counted it as 18 (see below for their daily numbers).
There’s also a drop of 1 to 6 in hospital.
Active cases remain at 131.
While vaccinations remain a main concern locally, SMDHU’s numbers remain stuck at 75 per cent of the total population for one jab and 70.3 per cent for two shots.
Meanwhile, 15 of the 19 cases today were among unvaccinated residents.
Only 4 who were fully vaccinated tested positive.
Overall 272 people fully vaccinated have contracted the coronavirus, 472 have gotten it after being partially vaccinated — or within two weeks after being vaccinated a second time.
Since the pandemic began, 9,756 without a vaccine have gotten COVID.
WEDNESDAY: COVID BY THE NUMBERS PHO: … 18 CASES IN SIMCOE-MUSKOKA (18 YESTERDAY) … ONTARIO 476 AND 10 DEATHS (429-4) … TORONTO 84 (108), YORK 44 (29), PEEL 39 (55) … NORTH BAY-PARRY SOUND 2 (4) … PORCUPINE 0 (0) …
HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 13,595 cases to date
- 52 cases this week; 97 last week, which was 10% lower than the 108 cases the week before.
- From December 22nd, 2020 onwards, there have been 272 confirmed COVID-19 cases among vaccinated individuals.
- 5 deaths in September.
- From Aug. 8 to Oct. 2, the rate of COVID-19 infection among the unvaccinated vaccine-eligible Simcoe Muskoka population is 11 times higher than it is for fully vaccinated population and the rate of COVID-19 hospitalizations is 40 times higher.
- 4,007 Alpha variants, 168 Gamma, 34 Beta, 1,238 Delta
- 664 cases await confirmation of VOC
- 886,572 vaccines have been administered
- 453,419 residents have received one vaccine, which is 75% of the total population
- 85% of those 12+ have had one vaccine
- 84% of youth 12 to 17 have also received at least one dose of vaccine
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
- All Canadian federal employees will have to be vaccinated, announced Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this morning.
- Moderna has applied to Health Canada for a third shot, which the National Advisory Committee on Immunizations (NCCI) has recommended for seniors and anyone vulnerable.
- 8 Canadian Forces nurses have begun helping out at a hospital in Edmonton today.
28 years of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Twitter: @muskokatoday, Facebook: mclairmont1
Leave comments at end of story
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to email@example.com
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions