Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — With no cases in Muskoka — and 14 in Simcoe — COVID may no exactly be on the run locally.
But it’s nice to see a bit of a reprieve — if not least for a day.
As well, with no new hospitalizations today — and only 7 in hospital — vaccinations are proving what most already know.
But a study in yesterday’s medical journal the Lancet funded by Pfizer notes a “dramatic erosion” of Pfizer’s vaccine’s protection against “breakthrough” infections.
The study done in southern California found the vaccine’s ability to protect against infection stood at 88 per cent in its first month, then fell to 47 per cent after just five months.
And despite the rise of the Delta variant the vaccine remained 90 per cent effective up to six months for alls age.
In Simcoe-Muskoka 12 of today’s reported COVID cases were among the unvaccinated and 2 were in fully vaccinated recipients.
This as Ontario is now rushing rapid COVID tests into schools in hot spots where vaccine numbers of low.
TUESDAY: COVID BY THE PHO NUMBERS … 19 CASES IN SIMCOE-MUSKOKA (20 YESTERDAY) … ONTARIO 429 AND 4 DEATHS (511-2) … TORONTO 108 (85), YORK 29 (30), PEEL 55 (88) … NORTH BAY-PARRY SOUND 4 (5) … PORCUPINE 0 (0) …
HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 13,578 cases to date
- 34 cases this week
- 98 last week, which was 9% lower than the 108 cases the week before
- From Dec. 22 there have been 270 confirmed COVID-19 cases among vaccinated individuals
- 5 COVID-19 related deaths were reported in September.
- From Aug. 8 to Oct. 2 the rate of COVID-19 infection among the unvaccinated vaccine-eligible Simcoe Muskoka population was 11 times higher than it was for fully the vaccinated population and the rate of COVID-19 hospitalizations was 40 times higher
- 4,007 cases have tested positive for Alpha variants of concern, 168 Gamma, 34 Beta and 1,236 Delta
- 664 cases await confirmation of variant
- 885,229 vaccines have been administered in Simcoe Muskoka,
- 452,993 residents have received one vaccine, which is 75% of the population
- 85% of those 12+ have had one vaccine
- 84% of youth 12 to 17 have also received at least one vaccine
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
Quebec reports 436 cases and 8 deaths.
Former Ontario Tory MPP Rick Nicholls is now out as deputy speaker in the legislature. He was turfed by Doug Ford for not providing proof of vaccination or an exemption after the premier ordered all his MPPs to do so in August.
Canadian NBA star Andrew Wiggins has finally gotten the jab — lest he lose his job, he admitted.
Nurses who had their tires flattened in a Guatemala village were held for seven hours by anti-vaxxers, causing the loss of 50 doses of vaccine.
28 years of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Twitter: @muskokatoday, Facebook: mclairmont1
Leave comments at end of story
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to email@example.com
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions