MUSKOKA LAKES — Emergency services had to mobilize vast resources and come to the rescue twice last Sunday night after hikers got lost on Hardy Lake trails.
No one was injured but great efforts were made to find the people, say the OPP.
This after an elderly couple were lost for days in north Muskoka woods recently.
Provincial police remind members of the public who are exploring Muskoka parks and areas of Crown land to take steps to ensure that they are being responsible with respect to their safety.
On Oct. 25 two 911 calls came in for service the Hardy Lake Park in Muskoka between 7 and 8 p.m. from people who had gotten disoriented and lost in the woods.
Police say this type of emergency situation is a tremendous draw on resources as land and air support are utilized and emergency services partners from local fire departments and Paramedic Services are called on to assist.
They say if you are heading out to explore please consider the following tips:
- Plan your route and stick to a marked path where available;
- Tell someone where you are planning to go;
- Ensure that your cell phone is fully charged;
- Be prepared for the unexpected and dress appropriately as weather can change;
- Take along a snack and water;
- If you do become lost, stay in place.