UTTERSON — One person was taken to hospital with serious injuries after occupants with a dog fled a house on fire, which caused $700,000 damage early today in south of Huntsville.

Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department reports a structure fire on Mainhood Road in reported at 1 a.m.

Crews from Station 5 in Port Sydney, Station 1 in Huntsville, and Station 4 in Baysville were called out.

Two occupants and a dog were evacuated.

One person sustained serious injuries and was transported to a trauma centre.

The fire is currently under investigation and the damage is estimated at $700,000, fire officials say.

They add that it is important residents have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms outside all sleeping areas and on every storey of the home. Smoke alarms increase your chance of surviving a fire in your home. Carbon monoxide alarms will make you aware of the presence of the dangerous gas. Test your alarms monthly and know the sound of your carbon monoxide and smoke alarms; they are different.

The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department would like to remind residents that if they have any questions relating to smoke or carbon Monoxide alarms to please contact the fire station at 705-789-5201.

“If your alarm sounds, go outside and call 911.”

Firefighters from three stations were called out at 1 a.m. in Utterson Wednesday for a fire that caused $700,000 damage and left a person in hospital.