Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — New national reproductive numbers offer hope today, but closer to home a rise in weekly COVID cases was helped by 5 more cases in Muskoka to end the week.
That’s half the increase the local health unit saw Friday with 107 cases since Sunday. Last week there were 97.
Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit reports 36 new cases — 31 in Simcoe — to start Thanksgiving weekend.
In Muskoka those who were reported yesterday include:
- Bracebridge man, 18-34, with close contact and a first episode Sept. 30
- Bracebridge woman, 45-64, with close contact and a first episode Oct. 4
- Bracebridge man, 45-64, with close contact and first episode Oct. 4
- Gravenhurst man, 65-79, under investigation with first episode Oct. 7
- Huntsville woman, 45-64, community acquired with first episode Oct. 6
There were 3 more hospitalizations for a total of 10 now.
And 17 who were unvaccinated when they tested positive, 16 who were fully vaccinated and 3 partially vaccinated.
Provincially 300 of the 573 new coronavirus cases today were among the unvaccinated, 192 were fully vaccinated, 33 were partially vaccinated and the status of the other 48 was unknown, reported Public Health Ontario (PHO).
FRIDAY: COVID BY THE NUMBERS PHO: … 21 CASES IN SIMCOE-MUSKOKA (22 YESTERDAY) … ONTARIO 573 AND 10 DEATHS (587-5) … TORONTO 104 (119), YORK 41 (42), PEEL 80 (55) … NORTH BAY-PARRY SOUND 3 (6) … PORCUPINE 0 (0) …
HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 13,650 cases to date
- 107 cases this week; 97 last week, which was 10% lower than the 108 cases the week before
- From Dec. 22 onwards, there have been 290 confirmed COVID-19 cases among vaccinated individuals.
- 5 COVID-19 related deaths were reported in September.
- From Aug. 8 to Oct. 2, the rate of COVID-19 infection among the unvaccinated vaccine-eligible Simcoe Muskoka population is 11 times higher than it is for fully vaccinated population and the rate of COVID-19 hospitalizations is 40 times higher.
- 4,007 Alpha variants of concern, 168 Gamma, 34 Beta, 1,268 Delta
- 664 cases await confirmation of VOC
- 888,764 vaccines have been administered
- 454,224 residents have received at least one vaccine, which represents 75% of the total population
- 85% of those 12+ have had at least one vaccine
- 85% of youth 12 to 17 have also received at least one vaccine
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
- Quebec reports 643 cases and 5 deaths.
- The union representing RCMP officers says it’s OK with Mounties vaccinating or not.
- Canada is giving 750,000 about to expire AstraZeneca vaccines to Caribbean and South American countries in a bilateral move, reports the CBC. That’s beyond the 40 million Canada has promised to the UN’s Covax sharing program. Canada has already shipped 2.7 million doses of that commitment.
- B.C. is returning 300,000 Moderna vaccines to federal health officials, as provinces take account of their unused stock to share, possibly through Covax.
28 years of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Twitter: @muskokatoday, Facebook: mclairmont1
Leave comments at end of story
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to email@example.com
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions