Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — After a federal election that was about the pandemic, government management and the people’s response, 17 new COVID cases today in Simcoe-Muskoka is a reflection of more of the same.
Just 1 of Tuesday’s cases was in Muskoka, a Huntsville man aged 45-64, who is under investigation after reporting yesterday with a first episode Sept. 16.
The other 16 testing positive were from Simcoe, similar to the way it’s been throughout the pandemic.
Of the new cases, 12 were among unvaccinated, 4 were fully vaccinated and 1 partially vaccinated.
Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit reports 186 active cases and 119 active variants of concern (VOCs).
The latter now includes 1,007 Delta variants.
This as Ontarians prepare for tomorrow when vaccine proof and government photo ID will be required to enter restaurants, bars and gyms like the YMCA in Gravenhurst.
And as Alberta’s Health Minister Tyler Shandro has been shuffled out of cabinet by Premier Jason Kenney who himself is being urged to step down by a former party stalwart and vice president.
In Simcoe-Muskoka the vaccine crawl out continues still with just 73.8 per cent of the population remains with just one vaccine and only 68.1 per cent twice vaccinated.
Hospitalizations are down to a single digit with 9 people.
TUESDAY: COVID BY THE NUMBERS … 13 CASES IN SIMCOE-MUSKOKA (19 YESTERDAY) … ONTARIO 574 AND 8 DEATHS (610-5) … TORONTO 104 (126), YORK 80 (71), PEEL 44 (100) … NORTH BAY-PARRY SOUND 2 (3) … PORCUPINE 0 (0) …
HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 13,366 cases to date
- 27 new cases this week; 142 last week, which was 28%, lower than the 197 cases the week before.
- From December 22nd, 2020 onwards, there have been 214 confirmed COVID-19 cases among vaccinated individuals.
- From July 25th to September 18th, the rate of COVID-19 infection among the unvaccinated vaccine-eligible Simcoe Muskoka population is 12 times higher than it is for fully vaccinated population and the rate of COVID-19 hospitalizations is 52 times higher.
- 4,007 Alpha variants of concern, 168 Gamma, 34 Beta, 1,007 Delta
- 661 cases await confirmation of VOC
- 867,615 vaccines have been administered
- 446,218 residents have received one vaccine, which is 74% of the population
- 84% of the population 12+ have had one vaccine
- 82% of youth 12 to 17 have also received one vaccine
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
- George Holliday, 61, the American who videotaped Rodney King’s police beating in L.A. has died of COVID complications.
- A German gas bar attendant was shot to death after refusing to sell beer to a man who refused to put on a mask. The gunman left at first and came back and shot the clerk once in the head.
- A Salmon Arms, B.C., school has lifted its hold and secure, but will keeps its doors closes after anti-vax protester entered the school to protest a vaccine clinic there last week.
- Quebec reports 679 cases today and 89 per cent of those 12+ vaccinated and 84.4 per cent fully vaccinated.
- Ontario now has 85.2 per cent over age 12 vaccinated once, which is 74.5 per cent of the total population.
- PEI has relented and will now have a vaccine passport system.
28 years of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Twitter: @muskokatoday, Facebook: mclairmont1
Leave comments at end of story
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions