MUSKOKA — A Gravenhurst hunter who pleaded guilty to hunting wild turkey without a licence has been fined $2,000.

Paul Girard also pleaded guilty to an additional count of hunting turkey without a licence, two counts of transporting illegally obtained wildlife and two counts of using a firearm to hunt turkey that is not permitted by regulations. He received a suspended sentence and his firearm was seized and forfeited to the Crown.

Justice of the Peace William Turtle heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Bracebridge, on Aug. 11, said a release this week from Northern Development Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (NDMNRF).

They say the court heard that in May 2021 a conservation officer began the investigation after becoming aware that Girard allegedly harvested two wild turkeys in the Gravenhurst area without a licence.

The investigation found that Girard shot two turkeys in May of 2020 on a friend’s property.

In addition to not having a licence for either bird, the investigation further revealed that Girard was using a shotgun not permitted by regulations.

The Ontario government would like to remind hunters that wild turkey hunting regulations such as firearms restrictions and the requirement for licences are in place to help sustain the wild turkey populations.

Conservation officers continue to patrol and protect our natural resources during the current COVID-19 pandemic and would like to remind everyone that by respecting seasons, sanctuaries, bag and possession limits, we all help ensure our natural resources stay healthy. Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.

To report a natural resource violation or provide information about an unsolved case, members of the public can call the ministry TIPS line toll free at 1-877-847-7667. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS. For more information about unsolved cases, please visit

Paul Girard, of Gravenhurst, was fined $2,000 and had his shotgun confiscated by provincial Crown conservation officers after the May 2020 illegal shooting of two wild turkeys on a friend’s property.