Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — A COVID outbreak of 10 cases at Muskoka Woods Camp comes as the health unit reports 9 new cases over the long weekend.
Campers at the Rosseau summer camp were informed that this week’s overnight camp was closed.
This as today Ontario reported 332 cases and 2 deaths the past two days (168 Monday and 164 Tuesday).
That includes a Georgian Bay man, 45-64, who had travelled and reported on July 30 with a first episode July 25.
No other cases were reported today in Muskoka, though the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit (SMDHU) reports 3 cases for the week starting Sunday.
And Public Health Ontario said today there were no cases and 2 Monday.
Meanwhile, the health unit is offering free walk-in clinics this week in Bracbridge and Huntsville for those 12+. See related story elsewhere on MuskokaTODAY.com for dates and details.
The news comes as long-awaited provincial school guidelines say students will have to wear masks in school starting in Grade 1 when they re-open next month. But they will be able to play on sports teams, use musical instruments in band classes, and go on field trips.
They will also be able to go mask-less outdoors with-in two metres.
Full details are expected tomorrow.
That’s as variants continue to dominate this story.
In Simcoe-Muskoka 4 new variants were reported since Friday.
And to date there have 190 Delta VOCs.
HEATLH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 12,381 cases to date
- 3 new cases this week, 28 last week, which was 22% higher than the 23 cases reported for the week of July 18.
- 0 deaths in August, 4 in July, 6 in June
- 4,000 Alpha variants, 167 Gamma, 34 Beta, 190 Delta
- 670 cases await confirmation of VOC
- 776,860 vaccines have been administered in Simcoe Muskoka
- 418,320 residents have received at least one dose of vaccine, which represents 69% of the population.
- 79% of those 12 years and older living in Simcoe Muskoka have had at least one vaccine
- 68% of youth 12 to 17 years of age who have also received at least one vaccine
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
- Manitoba is easing mask restrictions as it eases in to more openings.
- New York City restaurants, pools and gyms will require a vaccine passport for workers and patrons.
- Same goes for Microsoft workers going back in to their office jobs.
- Tokyo Olympics is reporting 294 cases among athletes and workers.
- Barack Obama is hosting a 60th birthday party outdoors Wednesday at Martha’s Vineyard with all the appropriate COVID protocols including rapid-testing on site.
28 years of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Twitter: @muskokatoday, Facebook: mclairmont1
Leave comments at end of story
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions