Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — Three COVID cases in Simcoe today are among 135 being reported in Ontario.
Two are in Barrie and 1 in Collingwood and are among 7 this week.
Public Health Ontario also reports 4 new deaths province-wide.
Once again there were no deaths in Muskoka, which last reported a case on July 9 in Gravenhurst.
Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit said Thursday there are 22 active COVID cases in the region — after a total of 12,339 residents have tested positive the past 18 months.
As well, there are 7 active variants of concern following 4,974 initial reports.
Delta remains the prime VOC with 104 cases to date in Simcoe and Muskoka.
This as the U.S. is keeping its land border with Canada closed until Aug. 31 for non-essential travel.
But Canada said this week it will welcomes northbound Americans on Aug. 9.
Quebec reported 100 cases today, the most it’s seen since July 16. But it has had no deaths since July 16.
HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 12,339 cases to date
- 7 cases this week, 15 last week, which was 29% lower than the 21 cases the week of July 4.
- 4 deaths in July, 6 in June
- 3,997 Alpha variants, 166 Gamma, 34 Beta and 104 Delta
- 673 other cases await confirmation of VOC
- 716,730+ vaccines have been administered in Simcoe Muskoka
- 409,550+ residents have had their first vaccine, which is 68% of the population
- 78% of adults 18+ have had at least one vaccine
- 64% of youth 12-17 have also had their first vaccine.
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
- Moderna was the S&P 500’s top stock by a long shot the past year.
- Top Thai health officials are apologizing for not buying enough vaccine and not joining COVAX to procure more.
- Tokyo, which reports 1,832 positive tests so far, has on 23 per cent of its population fully vaccinated two days from the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics, which will be athletes only and spectator-free.
28 years of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Twitter: @muskokatoday, Facebook: mclairmont1
Leave comments at end of story
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to email@example.com
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions