Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — Another half dozen Muskoka COVID cases over the weekend includes three related to travel in Muskoka Lakes as the province is set to stretch the lockdown to June 2.
The other cases are in Bracebridge and Huntsville; and another one in Muskoka Lakes, which is listed by the health unit as being part of an outbreak.
This as the health unit is reporting 10 active cases in a Muskoka accommodation setting as of April 29; and 4 active in Muskoka’s agriculture industry as of May 8.
An April 29 outbreak in the construction sector was declared over May 3.
Worried residents in Bala who called us say they have heard about an outbreak at the Rosseau Marriott residence at the former Bala Bay Hotel.
Calls to the Marriott were referred to their PR, marking and sales director Leah Leslie, who confirmed the outbreak.
But she refused to say how many cases there are or offer any further details in a phone call this afternoon to MuskokaTODAY.com.
She said the resort is open and operating safely.
In an emailed statement, she said: “The resort has been working closely with Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit to ensure that all measures are taken to safeguard the health of our employees and guests.
“We would respectfully redirect any additional questions about cases in our area to Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit.
“Since the beginning of the pandemic, the resort has followed a strict regimen of health and safety protocols for staff and guests, and we will continue to take every precaution to protect associates and guests.”
According the health unit today, they don’t publicly share the names and/or specific locations of workplace outbreaks.
“If a workplace chooses to share that information then that is their prerogative,” said Kara Thomson-Ryczko.
“As I mentioned previously, we only will publish the names of workplaces in outbreak if they are a risk to the community.”
Meanwhile, the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit reports 146 new cases over the weekend (36 today) after the province reported 41 today, 59 Sunday and 60 Saturday = 160.
The 6 latest Muskoka cases include:
- Muskoka Lakes man, 18-34, travel related, reported May 8, first episode May 1
- Bracebridge man, 45-64, community acquired, reported May 7, first episode May 1
- Huntsville woman, 45-64, close contact, reported May 7, first episode May 5
- Muskoka Lakes man, 45-64, travel related, reported May 7, first episode May 5
- Muskoka Lakes man, 45-64, outbreak related, reported May 7, first episode May 5
- Muskoka Lakes man, 35-44, travel related, reported April 28, first episode April 28
There are also three new cases reported at Muskoka Shores LTC in Gravenhurst on their website today, as of April 24.
And 1 more death in Simcoe.
Meanwhile, Ontario is reporting 2,716 cases and 19 deaths after Sunday reporting 3,216 cases and 47 deaths.
Toronto’s total was 807 (903), York 294 (335) and Peel 707 (752).
North Bay-Parry Sound dropped down to zero cases after 5 reported Sunday.
This as the province is expected to extend the stay-at-home order to June 2 — a further two weeks beyond the May 24 long weekend when the current six-week order was issued.
MPPs from all five parties recommended that last week.
Health Minister Christine Elliott said this morning she wants to get the case numbers down much further as ICU numbers remain close to capacity at 828 Monday.
In his afternoon briefing today, Dr. David Williams, chief medical officer of health, said cases need to be well below 1,000. The 7-day average now is 3,017.
HEATLH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 11,062 cases so far
- 36 this week since Sunday
- 437 cases last week, 21% lower than the 556 cases the week before
- 5 deaths in May, 25 in April, 12 in March.
- 3,094 UK variants, 66 from Brazil, 17 from South Africa
- 700 more cases have screened positive awaiting the type of variant
- 239,750+ vaccines have been administered in Simcoe Muskoka
- 222,800+ people living in Simcoe Muskoka have received their first dose of vaccine — 36% of the total population
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
- Ontarians put on the back burner for elective surgery aren’t happy to hear the government has earmarked less than half the estimated $1.3 billion needed over the next three years to clear the backlog of non-emergency surgeries and diagnostic procedures postponed in the pandemic, an independent watchdog says.
- Next week Britons will be able to hug while in a pub for a mug when they gather in small groups May 17.
- Mother of a day in the U.S. yesterday, where 1.7 million Americans were screened at airports while flying home to see mom. That’s 4,500 more than Friday. But it was still 29 per cent lower than travel numbers two years ago.
Celebrating 27 YEARS of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Follow us on at Twitter @muskokatoday & on Facebook at mclairmont1
Leave your comments at end of story.
Send Letters to the Editor at email@example.com
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions