Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — Day 1 of the latest stay-at-home order sees the province reporting 124 COVID cases in Simcoe-Muskoka this morning — while the health unit countered in the afternoon with 84.
A Bracebridge man, 45-64, is under investigation after first being reported yesterday, following a first episode the day before.
The health unit says one other Bracebridge case, previously reported, was removed as it was transferred to a different health unit as it did not meet case definition.
That makes for 308 cases this week in the region with one more day or reporting. Last week there were 449.
This as Ontario cases jumped again today to 3,295 and 19 deaths That’s up 80 cases from Wednesday.
Toronto fell to 933 (from 1,095), while Peel and York were both up at 649 (596) and 386 (342) respectively.
North Bay-Parry Sound was up 1 to 3 and Sudbury fell to 13 from 29.
The province has also announced that 18 hot spots will receive special vaccine treatment, including one in south Simcoe with a postal code beginning with L3Z.
No parts of Muskoka are included in the specialized rollout.
HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 1,174 UK variants, 18 from Brazil, 2 from South Africa
- 397 cases awaiting second confirmed VOC testing.
- More than 114,400 vaccines issued. have been administered in Simcoe Muskoka.
- There have been five deaths in April.
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
- Quebec orders masks for everyone in outdoor group settings, as it reports 1,609 cases and 9 deaths.
- 137 cases in Manitoba, 1 in Newfoundland-Labrador, 5 in Nova Scotia and 7 and New Brunswick.
- India, the world’s largest vaccine producer, won’t give vaccine to those under 45.
- There are 526 people on ICU in Ontario.
- Ontario’s critical 7-day COVID case average is 3,093. It was 2,341 last week and 1,749 the week before.
MUSKOKA TODAY’S REAP:
THURSDAY: COVID BY THE NUMBERS … 124 CASES IN SIMCOE-MUSKOKA … BRACEBRIDGE MAN 45-64 ONLY MUSKOKA CASE TODAY … 3,295 IN ONTARIO AND 19 DEATHS … TORONTO 933, PEEL 649, YORK 386 … NORTH BAY-PARRY SOUND 3, SUDBURY 13 … 308 CASES IN SIMCOE-MUSKOKA THIS WEEK … ONLY ONE HOT SPOT IN SIMCOE WILL GET SPECIAL VACCINE TREATMENT WITH POSTAL CODE BEGINNING WITH L3Z … 114,400 VACCINE DOSES ADMINISTERED IN SIMCOE-MUSKOKA … ACROSS CANADA 6.43 MILLON PEOPLE HAVE HAD AT LEAST 1 OR 2 INJECTIONS — THAT’S 17 PER CENT OF CANADIANSS … QUEBEC — WITH 1,609 CASES — ORDERS MASKS FOR ALL GROUP SETTINGS OUTDOORS … INDIA WON’T VACCINATE THOSE UNDER 45. COUNTRY LARGEST VACCINE PRODUCER IN THE WORLD …
Celebrating 27 YEARS of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Follow us on at Twitter @muskokatoday & on Facebook at mclairmont1
Leave your comments at end of story.
Send Letters to the Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to email@example.com
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions