Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — After a few positive days, Friday saw 8 more Muskoka COVID cases among 74 region-wide.
Three were in Huntsville, 2 each in Bracebridge and Muskoka Lakes, with 1 in Gravenhurst.
Thus ending the week with 349 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka, reports the health unit.
Public Health Ontario reported 62 cases this morning.
That’s down considerably from 637 last week and 715 the week before.
However, Simcoe suffered its 221st death since Thursday.
The 8 latest Muskoka cases all reported today are:
1. Bracebridge woman, 45-64, close contact, first episode April 24
2. Bracebridge man, 45-65, close contact, first episode April 24
3. Gravenhurst woman, 18-34, under investigation, first episode April 27
4. Huntsville male, under 18, under investigation, first episode April 28
5. Huntsville woman, 18-34, under investigation, first episode April 27
6. Huntsville man, 18-34, close contact, first episode April 28
7. Muskoka Lakes man, 18-34, outbreak-related, first episode April 23
8. Muskoka Lakes man, 45-64, under investigation, first episode, April 24
Ontario reported 3,887 cases — up 16 from 3,871 Thursday.
Toronto jumped by 159 to 1,331 from 1,172 the day before. York fell to 267 from 392 as did Peel, which dropped to 871 from 901.
North Bay-Parry Sound moved up to 3 from 2.
Doug Ford is calling on Justin Trudeau to halt foreign students from entering the province to study fearing more viruses. The prime minister is considering the rare provincial request.
Meanwhile, the premier is defending his sick pay plan against harsh criticism.
This as Ontario’s 7-day average fell to 3,722.
And as the province said this afternoon that once again it won’t increase post secondary tuition costs. Good news for what’s left of those struggling Laurentian students, no doubt.
HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 10,383 cases so far.
- 349 this week, 637 last week and 715 for the week of April 11.
- Simcoe has suffered its 221st death.
- To date 2,574 local cases have tested positive for the COVID-19 variant of concern UK B.1.1.7 (UK), 38 cases have tested positive for the P.1 variant of concern (Brazil), 7 cases have tested positive for the B.1.351 variant of concern (South Africa) and an additional 681 cases have screened positive (awaiting confirmatory testing).
- Nearly 205,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in Simcoe Muskoka, including doses administered by local pharmacies. Over 189,600 individuals living in Simcoe Muskoka have received their first dose of vaccine, which represents over 30% of the total population.
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
Another heart-breaking story out of Peel, where a Mississauga teen has lost his mother to COVID — after both entered the same hospital with the virus. The 13-year-old boy’s father died six years ago with cancer. A GoFundMe campaign has raised $125,000 for Mazen Kamel who is staying with a family friend. This follows a nearby Brampton girl, Victoria Viegas, 13, who died of COVID last week.
A Russian and American are sharing a one-way ticket out of a Bali resort after they painted masks on their faces while vacationing in Indonesia.
Across Canada, latest cases today include 1,041 in Quebec (and 13 deaths), 67 in Nova Scotia, 8 in Newfoundland/Labrador, 10 in New Brunswick and 297 in Manitoba. Nunavut had 11 cases today, all in the capital of Iqaluit.
Yesterday Saskatchewan had 205, Alberta 2,048 and B.C. 853.
Disneyland — “The Happiest Place on Earth” — re-opened to in-state California visitors only, but with 25 per cent capacity.
Across the border 99 million Americans have been vaccinated: 55 per cent with one dose and 38 per cent with two.
A mass vaccination at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal had to be cancelled due to planned protests of restrictions.
Celebrating 27 YEARS of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Follow us on at Twitter @muskokatoday & on Facebook at mclairmont1
Leave your comments at end of story.
Send Letters to the Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to email@example.com
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions