Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — A weekend with 283 regional cases (6 in Muskoka) comes today as the world rallies to help India cope with 350,000 people there with COVID and 2,800 who died since yesterday.
And as Ontario calls on Canada’s military and the Red Cross to help with specialized nurses in ICUs.
Locally today the health unit reports 65 people on Sunday tested positive.
And there was 1 new death, a Gravenhurst woman, aged 65-79.
And 65 people since Friday contracted the coronavirus. (The province reported a three-day decline of 79 today, 86 Saturday and 96 Friday equaling 261.)
The 6 latest Muskoka cases include:
1. Huntsville man, 45-64, under investigation, reported April 25, first episode April 24
2. Bracebridge woman, 80+, outbreak-related, reported April 24, first episode April 23.
3. Huntsville woman, 18-34, under investigation, reported April 24, first episode April 23
4. Huntsville man, 65-79, close contact, reported April 24, first episode April 22
5. Bracebridge female, under 18, community acquired, reported April 23, first episode April 19
6. Gravenhurst woman, 65-79, under investigation, reported April 14, first episode April 12
Two people are being reported as positive at the Wal-Mart in Bracebridge.
Last week there were 637 cases, according to the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit (SMDHU).
This as 13-year-old Emily Viegas, of Brampton, died Sunday — one of two dozen to die yesterday in the province.
Her father, Carlos, 58, was an essential worker at a warehouse west of Toronto.
This as Ontario reported 3,510 cases, down from 3,947 Sunday.
Today Toronto reports 1,015, down from 1,136 the day before, York too fell to 391 from 406, as did Peel at 909 from 1,014.
North Bay-Parry Sound remained at 2 cases.
HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:
- 10,097 confirmed cases.
- 65 new cases since Sunday
- 637 new cases last week (week of April 18th), 11% lower than the 712 cases reported for the week of April 11th.
- 19 deaths so far in April; 12 in March.
- 2,373 UK-positive test, 29 linked to Brazil, 2 tied to South Africa — 607 cases have screened positive awaiting second testing).
- 187,400+ vaccines have been administered in Simcoe Muskoka.
- 169,200+ people living in Simcoe Muskoka have received their first dose of vaccine, 27% of the total population.
IN OTHER COVID NEWS …
9 Newfoundland and Labrador health care workers are coming to Ontario Tuesday to offer help. “Because were all Canadians,” says Premier Andrew Furry who is also an orthopaedic surgeon and whose wife, Allison, is a physician and is among those coming to Ontario’s aid.
Nova Scotia’s 66 cases today a record.
Fort McMurray to declare state of emergency to deal with pandemic.
1.9 million vaccines coming to Canada this week, including one-shot J&J,
Celebrating 27 YEARS of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Follow us on at Twitter @muskokatoday & on Facebook at mclairmont1
Leave your comments at end of story.
Send Letters to the Editor at email@example.com
SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions