TORONTO — Ice fishing may be coming to the end of the season this month, but the province is already angling for the next season.
On Saturday, Natural Resources and Forestry Minister John Yakabuski said in a release at the
Toronto Sportsmen’s Show that the PCs are making life easier for anglers and hunters.
“Our government is working hard to make it easier for families, anglers and hunters to get out on the water and enjoy the great outdoors, We will continue to focus on customer service, reduce barriers to our world-class natural resources, and look for ways to help people make ends meet.”
He said the Ford government has:
- Frozen fishing and hunting licence fees and removed the $2 service fee;
- Doubled the number of free fishing events in 2019;
- Showed appreciation for veterans and active Canadian Armed Forces members residing in Ontario by allowing them to fish for free across the province;
- Improved customer service by launching a new Fish and Wildlife Licensing Service;
- Initiated a review of the moose management program to address how tag quotas are developed, how hunters apply for tags and to examine the current allocation process;
- Invested $1.1 million in the Ontario Fur Managers Federation to support trapping education program and licence services for Ontario’s trappers and trapping instructors.
“I am proud of the work we have done for the people of Ontario in a short amount of time,” said Yakabuski. “Our government will continue to support the province’s avid fishing and hunting communities that are vital to Ontario’s economy.”
- Ontario’s recreational fishing industry generates $2.2 billion annually.
- Hunting contributes over $431 million to Ontario’s economy annually.
- Freezing fishing and hunting licences and removing the service fee will keep approximately $4.3 million in the pockets of hard-working hunters and anglers.
- Additional upcoming 2019 licence-free fishing events include Mother’s Day weekend (May 11 and 12, 2019), Father’s Day weekend (June 15 and 16, 2019), and Family Fishing Week (June 29 to July 7, 2019).