GARDNER AGREES: ‘WE’RE LOSING THE RACE’ BETWEEN VARIANTS, VACCINES

Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com

SIMCOE-MUSKOKA — Even as regional cases dropped to 32 — all in Simcoe today — Dr. Charles Gardner agrees vaccines are losing out in the race against variants.

“I believe we are, at this point.”

He said “there may have been more of a reliance on the ability to vaccine people.”

That and because control measures were “relaxed” it’s been difficult to contain COVID.

And as vaccine supplies have “flat-lined” and won’t increase till late May it’s “disappointing.”

“We certainly have the capacity in our system to take a lot more.”

Vaccines now total 89,630 — including 3,225 yesterday and 19,000 the past week.

Gardner said 74 per cent of people 80+ have gotten the vaccine and almost all those 75+ had one or been booked.

And as of yesterday, those 70+ can get the vaccine; but he doesn’t know when the next step down to age 65+ will happen.

This as variants of concern are up this week to 1,232 from 1,045 a week ago.

Gardner said “We anticipate getting more of the AstraZeneca vaccine to provide to primary care practitioners for people between the ages of 60 and 64.”

He said that was meant to be one of six pilot projects and because they’ve had “very good success with it” they’ve vaccinated 4,400 people.

And the next shipment of it will be for those 60 and above.

Buckwallow Cycling Centre owner Mike McLaughlin, of Gravenhurst, doesn’t see any hope for his popular trails to open this summer after being closed last year. Though he’d like to re-open, he says it’s not about keeping distance in the woods, but about small businesses having to deal with staffing, safety protocols and red tape, which are too much for a micro-business like his. Perhaps next year, he hopes.

Meanwhile on the hot topic of the AstraZeneca vaccine, he had little to say.

“We are certainly well aware of the announcement by the National Advisory Committee on Immunizations — as well as Health Canada — that the AstraZeneca vaccine be only provided to people who are above 55 years of age.”

And on the subject of possibly extending the April 12-16 spring break back further, he said he’d prefer to keep students in school.

“I would support that.”

However, Education Minister Stephen Lecce said this afternoon there will be no delay.

But Gardner cited the example of Christmas when the time off led to more cases in January.

He said it’s safer for kids to be in classes than at home where they may be exposed to community spread and could bring it back into the classroom and threaten the whole education system.

As for Easter it’s important, he said, not to let any guards down and to maintain all previous health protocols.

Gardner also said the maddening dual vaccine booking system will remain in place.

“That will have to continue, I’m afraid.”

He said Simcoe-Muskoka will be doing the pre-registering to make sure people are in right priority group and that information is passed on the province for their booking system.

The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit (SMDHU) medical officer of health added that with an increase in hospitalizations (32 this week, up from 23 a week ago) “we could very well see our weekly case count take off as it has in the rest of the province.”

There are 32 people in hospital today, up from 23 last week and 9 in ICU, up from 6 last Tuesday.

However, he feels “confident we will eventually” receive sufficient vaccines to meet growing demand with younger residents coming eligible.

That’s important because in March the average age of cases is 37. Last month it was 38 and in January 43.

And already Huntsville has expanded its vaccine distribution centre into one of its two ice surfaces at the Summit Centre and Bracebridge is considering a similar move to its downtown arena from the Sportscomplex.

Gardner said they’ve had to ship extra vaccines to Gravenhurst.

This as confirmed cases in the region, as of today, have reached 7,658. An increase of 331 over a week ago

Week-over-week change last week saw 307 cases — up 18 per cent from 261 the week before.

For Tuesday March 30 there are 415 active cases.

As well, there are now 198 deaths, including three the past week in Simcoe: a woman 65-79 and a man and woman both 80+.

Of the 32 cases reported today, 18 were male and 14 female and were all sporadic.

None of the cases were in Muskoka and most remain in Barrie, Bradford-West Gwillimbury and New Tecumseh.

Gardner said the Moderna vaccine will soon be used for home visits by paramedics, home/community care services for people who can’t leave home due to age and other health restrictions. He said there about 800 people in that category.

Community hot spots are another vaccine target area, along with the education workers later in Phase 2.

As well, some school workers who are at added risk school working more closely with some students are being considered for early vaccines.

Gardner was also happy with the success of recent vaccination clinics with almost 400

First Nations residents, including those aged 16+. There was another one today in Barrie.

Gardner also said he wouldn’t now recommend a move back to the grey-lockdown zone.

Could we go back in to grey?

It’s also possible the government could yet even call for another general provincial lockdown in the weeks ahead.

If red is more permissive – maintaining plateau. Don’t recommend grey based on plateau.

HEALTH UNIT HIGHLIGHTS:

  • At LTCs 95 per cent of residents have gotten the vaccine, 76 per cent of staff and 91 per cent of volunteers. At retirement homes it’s 97 per cent of residents, 88 per cent of staff and 87 per cent of essential workers. In hospitals 67 per cent of workers have had a shot and 63 per cent of other health-care workers.
  • 788 cases are of the UK variant, 18 related to Brazil, 1 involving South Africa.
  • 89,630 doses of vaccine have been administered, including 3,225 yesterday.
  • This includes over 18,000 individuals who have received both of the required doses of the vaccine.
  • 3,000 (95%) long-term care residents and approximately 3,500 (96%) retirement home residents have received their first dose. Most are Pfizer vaccines
  • More than 4,400 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine have been given to adults 60-64 years by four Family Health Teams in Simcoe and Muskoka.
  • More than 1,500 doses of Moderna vaccine have also been administered.
  • There have been 89 new cases reported to the health unit for the current week. There were 307 last week and 261 the week before.
  • In January, 88 Simcoe residents died from COVID, which is more than four times higher than the 18 in December. There were 32 deaths in February, which is the second highest number of deaths in a single month since the start of the pandemic. In March, 8 Simcoe Muskoka residents have died from COVID-19.
  • The COVID testing positivity rate as of today was 4.1 per cent (up from 3.5 per cent last week), which is about the same as the province at 4.0.
  • The reproductive rate is 13, up from 1.0.
Here’s proof a third wave is fullblown.

IN OTHER COVID NEWS …

  • Ontario had 2,336 cases today for a 7-day average of 2,207. Toronto accounted for 434, Peel 229, York 194, Hamilton 129 and Ottawa 144.
  • Canada expects to ramp up vaccines from 1 million a week to 2 million a week in the coming months. Trudeau says Pfizer is moving up shipments of 5 million doses to June from later in the summer.
  • According to Procurement Minister Anita Anand we will receive about 44 million doses in total by end of June, good for at least one injection by every Canadian.
  • The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is due in a month’s time. Canada has bought 10 million doses with an option for 28 million more.
  • Some P.E.I. residents cancelled vaccine appointments after hearing about the AZ pause, but the province reassures residents that only Moderna and Pfizer are being used.
  • Quebec had 864 cases and New Brunswick 14.
  • B.C. worried about “exponential growth” in cases.

Email [email protected]

Celebrating 27 YEARS of ‘Local Online Journalism’

Follow us on at Twitter @muskokatoday & on Facebook at mclairmont1

Leave your comments at end of story.

Send Letters to the Editor at [email protected]

SUBSCRIBE for $25 by e-transferring to [email protected]

Or go online to https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions