Mark Clairmont |

GRAVENHURST — Fire Prevention Week had a “happy ending” on Thanksgiving weekend for a family of three on Peninsula Road.

A working smoke alarm is being credited with waking up and saving the parents and a toddler at a cottage late on Saturday, Oct. 10, in the southwest end of town.

Fire officials say that shortly after 10 p.m. firefighters were called to the seasonal home for a report of a dishwasher on fire.

They say the family awoke minutes before the sound of the smoke alarm and discovered a fire in the dishwasher.

After calling 911 they quickly used a bucket of water to knock down the flames.

Fire crews arrived and ensured that the fire was completely extinguished before removing the dishwasher from the home, which also caused damage to the family’s kitchen countertop.

This as firefighters were wrapping up Fire Prevention Week Oct. 4-10, with its focus on kitchen safety.

“Two things are important to the happy ending that this story has,” said Fire Chief Larry Brassard.

“The first is that this family had a working smoke alarm. Without the early warning the alarm provided, this fire could have progressed and turned into a real tragedy.

“The quick thinking actions of the homeowners in extinguishing the fire with a bucket of water was the second reaction that led to this positive outcome,” he said.

“The residence is located quite a distance from the fire station. Had the homeowner not reacted as quickly as they did, the results could have been much more serious.

“A fire extinguisher is a good resource for all homeowners to have handy. It’s also critical that you call 9-1-1 immediately in the event of an emergency,” added Brassard.

“Time is against us in any fire situation, and the sooner we’re alerted to a fire, the better the chances are of achieving a good outcome. This is a story with a happy ending because of a simple, life-saving device that worked as it should. This is indeed something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving weekend.”

Damage is estimated at $1000.

An electrical malfunction is suspected as the cause of this incident.

Kitchen safety was the focus of Ontario Fire Prevention Week that ended Saturday with a “happy ending.”




Celebrating 25 YEARS of ‘Local Online Journalism’

Follow us at Twitter @muskokatodaily

And on Facebook at mclairmont1

Leave your comments at end of story.

Letter to the Editor:

Subscribe for $25 at