MINETT MARRIOTT FIXING SEWAGE SPILLS AFTER PROVINCIAL ORDER
Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
MINETT — Years of raw sewage spills into Lake Rosseau at the JW Marriott Muskoka resort and spa continue to be monitored weekly after provincial order in August.
The matter came to a head Canada Day weekend with the latest spill.
This week, the District of Muskoka and the Township of Muskoka Lakes report they have been monitoring the private sector sewage treatment plant, and are satisfied after an update from the province that monitoring and corrective measures are underway.
This all comes after a Provincial Work Order was issued by the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) in July, is says, relating to “the non-compliance of a private communal sewage treatment system.”
In August, the province ordered the owners to provide weekly updates every Tuesday, in addition to providing past records and plans to fix the problems, which the province says have happened since 2015.
On Sept. 3, the district, township, resort representatives met with the MECP and the third party operator of the sewage treatment plant.
The MECP says it is satisfied that the order is being complied with and that JW Marriott has expressed commitment to addressing the concern.
“The JW Marriott is cooperating 100 per cent with the MECP, and ownership takes this matter very seriously,” said Michael DiCienzo of the JW Marriott, via the district news release.
“We cannot stress enough that we care about the safe operation of the sewage treatment plant, the guests and staff at the Resort and protecting the environment.”
The district also says its engineering and public works committee received an update about the status of the order at their regular meeting Sept. 18.
“It is important that we know that the MECP is satisfied that the order is being complied and that we communicate this to the public,” said committee chair Phil Harding, the mayor of the Township of Muskoka Lakes.
District chair John Klinck said: “I feel it is important that we satisfy ourselves that all government agencies are doing everything possible to address this issue. (Provincial Environment) Minister Yurek did respond to my letter and reassured me that the MECP was fulfilling its mandate.”
He added that Dr. Charles Gardner, the Medical Officer of Health Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit has previously confirmed that “the spill was removed and there were no impacts to recreational, drinking water or land and there were no public health issues to be addressed.”
See the MECP order at: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e43bb1cd80f88e9b06edaadd/files/d943ea0f-1e5c-483f-9f01-5ca356645c20/MOECP_Work_Order_re_Sewage_at_JW_Marriott_Aug_12_2019.pdf

Email Mark Clairmont at [email protected]
Celebrating 25 YEARS of ‘Local Online Journalism’
Follow him at Twitter @muskokatodaily
And on Facebook at [email protected]
- Follow us on Twitter @muskokatodaily
- And on Facebook at mclairmont1
- Email [email protected]
Letters to the Editor always welcome:
Let us know what you’re thinking. Click on the Comment button at the end of this story to leave your comments.
Or write a Letter to the Editor …
And … please Subscribe:
- Support Your Community’s Newspaper
at https://muskokatoday.com/subscriptions