Mark Clairmont | MuskokaTODAY.com
OTTAWA — A new federal energy rebate program promises savings to consumers they say will also benefit the environment.
Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, announced Tuesday, Aug. 27, the launch of the Energy Savings Rebate program “to help make climate action affordable for Ontarians,” she said in a Government of Canada news release.
It says a total of $200 million of support over two years will be provided to Ontario retailers to offer up to 25 per cent off the purchase price of specific energy-saving products.
It claims the products can help Ontarians reduce their energy use by up to 60 per cent more than using the standard models.
Ontario families or businesses looking to install electric-vehicle chargers or purchase new energy-efficient appliances — like washers, dryers, dishwashers, and refrigerators — can save up to $500 per item; and up to $1,000 on water heaters and heat pumps.
Retailers include RONA, Lowe’s, Canadian Tire, Best Buy Canada, Tepperman’s, and scores of others, big and small, in communities across the province.
A full list of eligible products can be found here: Energy Savings Rebate program
Ontario residents can take advantage of this program, in-store or online, through any eligible retailer, available here: Energy Savings Rebate program (please check back regularly as more will be added).
The Energy Savings Rebate program is funded from a portion of Ontario’s Low Carbon Economy Leadership Fund allocation.
Benefits to customers:
Successful applicants will be able to offer rebates to Ontarians for:
Up to 25% of the purchase price of eligible products
No more than $500 per item, except for tankless condensing water heaters and ductless mini split indoor units (air source heat pumps), where rebates can be no more than $1,000 per item.
Email Mark Clairmont at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow him at Twitter @muskokatodaily
Or on Facebook at email@example.com
Eligible product categories:
- ENERGY STAR certified washer
- ENERGY STAR certified dryer
- ENERGY STAR certified washer/dryer combo
- ENERGY STAR certified dishwasher
- ENERGY STAR certified tankless condensing water heater
- ENERGY STAR certified air purifier/room air cleaner
- ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat
- ENERGY STAR certified ductless mini split indoor unit (air source heat pump)
- ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioners
- ENERGY STAR certified ceiling fans
- ENERGY STAR certified dehumidifiers
- Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE) Tier 3 certified refrigerators and refrigerator-freezers
- Electric vehicle home chargers
- Induction stovetops